Sunday, September 11, 2011

Analoger

If I am asked, I will say that I am an analog person. When I work, I write and scribble on sheets of paper, spread them around me, select my favorite ones, put them together and then transfer the work to my PC. This has been the case since my school days. The reason why I do this is, I can keep track of what I am doing, makes me feel satisfied, saves me some headache and eye pain and most importantly I am not laying barriers for my work with softwares ie., when working with softwares, I keep thinking about what is possible and what is not possible with the software knowledge I have and this puts me under a line that makes me do what the software allows me to do and not what I really like to do.

Once, I was going through a typography book and came across an interview of a famous designer from Canada whose name I don't remember! When he was asked about the way he hires people, he gave an instance as example. It went something like this: "I short listed four best people out of everybody who applied for the job and gave them a topic to design. They had to create the concept, design it and bring it back to me in the next seven days. After seven days they all came with their work and I ended up hiring none! Their works clearly showed that they had focussed on showing the software skills they had which resulted in a lifeless design. Sometimes I felt like the design hardly focussed on the topic given. All I wanted was a simple meaningful design that could've been a paper drawing that can later be illustrated.". Apparently he believed in working with paper first. The same is the case of most of the designers, coders, etc.

The digital world has its importance too. Its just that being analog makes the task easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment