Monday, September 26, 2011

Plagiarism


Being brought up in an age where the internet was always, or at least for as long as I can remember, readily available got me into an early habit of getting inspiration from any places I could, regardless of whether or not it was "legal" for me to use it. However, I never used any of the material I obtained in a way that profited me, so it was never like the Shepard Fairey incident. I feel as though the copyright laws are fair enough to still help me get any inspiration or information i might need without hindering my artistic method.
I have seen, and even had my close friends experience, cases of their own art being, pretty much, ripped off and used for monetary gain by others. Not only are those people stealing work from the original creator of that work, but they are possibly gaining more recognition, future jobs/income, etc. from those they are stealing from. It's not just bad to steal work from someone and pass it off as your own, it is morally wrong, I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment