Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pen in hand . . .

Moments ago I was sitting here making little notes about what I wanted to write about when I realized the irony of what I was doing. I was using an analog tool to start things off to only end up finalizing my thoughts with a digital medium. I grew up analog and have gotten to see the digital revolution from its very beginnings. I have noticed at least three very striking things about what has happened.

Because of some of my other activities that I enjoy; cycling, hiking, camping; I have noticed a large increase in people looking for ways to connect with their surroundings. Over the past 10 - 15 years the growth in the "adventure" market has been steady. I noticed from my various readings that this growth seemed to correlate with the rapid progression of technology. Mind you its not a direct relationship but it does seem to be noticeable. For as much as we are connected I think many people feel unconnected to the world around them.

The digital world seems to want to incorporate the analog more and more. Evidence of this is the introduction of the Wacom Inkling and the Livescribe pens. What looks like a normal analog pen is actually a digital recorder that can store your writings and drawings. The rational behind these inventions is that we as humans need a tactile tool to help inspire us, to make us feel connected to what we do. Yes I know there is a large amount of scientific study to back up that pens are more ergonomically better for us, but I think it goes to a much more basic instinct then numbers can sum up.

Lastly I am slowly seeing the isolation of the individual. Look at how we communicate more and more. We won't go to talk to some one face to face, we instead send a text or an email. We reply on our electronic extensions to be part of ourselves. Think of how often you might have had a slight panic attack when you can't find your phone. We are so dependent on these devises to stay connected, but are we truly connected? Does "talking" electronically equate to being in front of the person? Does it even carry the same emotional value of being with the person?

I am so intrigued to see what will happen in the near future. What will we reject, what will we accept. Time and the masses can only tell us.

No comments:

Post a Comment