Monday, September 19, 2011

creativity vs. innovation

I usually think of these two words as two distinct entities, however, when asked to compare them, I suddenly found myself seeing just how close in relation the words are. For me, I think the main difference between creativity and innovation is that innovation is more concrete whereas creativity can be more abstract. Creativity is all about imagination and thinking in a different way. To be creative, these thoughts do not have to come to fruition exactly; however, to be innovative, one must accomplish something or yield results. I think innovation is the application of creativity to improve upon a preexisting thought/method or a completely new thought; usually increasing usability and function. Creative thinking and innovative thinking could be described very similarly, but I think, again, the difference lies in the actions associated with each word. Creative thinking comes up with different, interesting ideas, while innovative thinking comes up with a method to change the game. I think as digital designers, we must have creativity in order to execute innovative tasks in user experience, for example.  Creativity is a great skill, but to be successful digital designers, we must challenge ourselves to act and become innovative.

No comments:

Post a Comment