Monday, September 12, 2011

Origins

Even from the early years of my childhood I was involved with both the analog and digital worlds, sketching random images on scrap paper and scribbling with MS Paint. Still today, with the great advances in technology, I find myself using both means almost equally to complete my goals, and I don't think that this is likely to change anytime soon. I start every single one of my projects, for school and otherwise, with an analog method, be it creating a website or writing a song. In my opinion analog planning and development will never be fully removed from the creative process.

I find that working by hand produces more organic, flowing ideas and in the long run allows you to work without the limitations of not knowing how to complete something with electronic means. Thinking in terms of what I want to create (whether or not I actually know how to create it) helps me make the best final product that I can. When I start working on a computer I feel that my start is more hesitant because it seems as if i'm skipping planning just because i'm so used to a process that I have. Even companies like Wacom are acknowledging this with new inventions like the "Inkling" tablet, which uses a special sensor and pressure sensitive pen to track real time sketching on any type of paper and imports it directly onto your computer in vector form. Editing my process over time is something I have come to know with newer technologies and innovations, but i do not feel like that process will ever be 100% digital, or 0% analog.

No comments:

Post a Comment