Sunday, November 20, 2011

Google / Privacy

I'm happy to say that my public online presence is pretty much insignificant information.  When I google my name the top hit is to my blog and then many other "Monica Sicilia's" appear before I have content again.  There are links to my site and projects I have created, books written for Sadlier, etc. but all-in-all, really not much pertaining to me.  I like it that way!

I think the only reasonable expectation we can have about online privacy is the reality that there are times when no matter what our desire, our privacy may be violated.  I think it's important to keep what you share at a bare minimum, but realistically others can post information about you or, innocently, you can makes comments or postings that reveal information you had not intended.

I believe that online communities, such as facebook, should be held accountable if information is "leaked" through their sites and it is not intended for public knowledge.   I guess another reality check is appropriate here-- we are dealing with technology and imperfect people so "glitches" happen and will continue to happen.  So as wonderful as our cyber world is, there are definate unfortunate realities--hopefully we will learn from these and they will become less in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment