Thursday, November 3, 2011

YouTube

I decided to write about YouTube for this blog entry, mainly because I feel I’m a bit out-of-the-loop when it comes to YouTube.  I do have a YouTube account but have never posted on YouTube and rarely do I ever go to YouTube unless someone sends me a link to something they want me to see, or unless I’m preparing for a presentation and need material.
                Some information gathered from the articles I have read includes:

Mission Statement:  “Our mission is to provide fast and easy video access and the ability to share videos frequently.”
How do they make money?
·         sponsored partnerships with major media corporations
·         business advertising and product placement
·         the large share of their worth is theoretical and dependent upon what potential investors and experts believe they are worth
Do they make money?
Any information I could find regarding revenue is a bit dates, so I’m not really sure what they answer is to this question.  Most articles quote: “That's where Spencer Wang, an analyst with Credit Suisse, steps in. By Wang's estimates, the video site is due to lose $470m this year (2009) – an incredible amount for a website that Google bought for $1.65bn just two and a half years ago.” (source:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/apr/07/youtube-video-losses) 

No comments:

Post a Comment