Monday, November 14, 2011

The new era of education


“Theory is important but practical application is critical to success” – Karl Kapp. All those people who have spent time in job hunt in their practical field would totally agree with Karl Kapp. Knowledge is important but at the end of the day , the practical use is more important. Knowledge without use will be like the gold coins of a miser which are used only for counting. Particularly in the field of digital design, the talent and quality of work matters. Whether I applied for master level admission in different universities or job, all they matter is the work in my portfolio rather than my GPA.I had the privilege of studying under many professors who themselves were self taught but teach the graduate level students.

It does not matter, how, where or when one studies ? All that matters is that one know's the stuffs to do his/her task. Certainly as Prensky marks out today’s generation , in his words the ‘Digital Natives’ are used to multi-tasking and instant gratification. They prefer the digital technology for education, which is much different from the old educational system of books , syllables and examinations.  I agree with what Prensky states in most of the cases. But there are points where I disagree with him eg: Too much of multi-tasking reduces efficiency. I have often found being on facebook and studying at the same time reducing my concentration level. Another point is that speed  does not always help even the digital natives. I do not know about the others but I take time to grasp the basic knowledge and would prefer to be taught the basics step by step. Once I am thorough with the basics, I can easily catch up with randomness and speed of the work.  For eg : My first interaction with the HTML and CSS language was an overview given by my professor by showing the various code sources of existing websites. This made my work really difficult. I rather fell into the category of Digital Immigrant and printed the notes from the W3 schools. Once thorough with it…I can now grasp other languages easily.
On the whole in most cases, I absolutely agree with Prensky and Kapp , that a lot more knowledge, invention, discoveries are hidden outside the four walls of an education institution. Education should always be interesting……something which today’s generation is having and the only reason why they always love to go to school.. The internet , the gaming industry and other digital technology definitely are a more promising sign of better education system.

No comments:

Post a Comment