Monday, October 24, 2011

Innovation vs revenue

Like almost everyone else I had a myspace page, multiple actually, that I would use almost everyday. I had my own personal page, and like three other ones for bands or music projects I was a part of. The thing I liked most about myspace, at least in the earlier years, is the concept of customization. This can be a double edged sword however. It gave people individuality as far as their page went, honestly this is how I started to learn about html in the first place. The negative part being going onto peoples pages that were just ridiculously filled with image upon image and crappy .gif's that seemed like it would never end. This led to poor usability in my opinion.

The article I read was titled "Why myspace really lost to facebook" One reason they listed is that facebook was just better at spotting trends and better at finding ways to implement them into something a user would want to use: aka the news feed. The average myspace user probably wasnt concerned with how cool their classmates page layout was, they wanted to know what they were up to and see the new pictures they posted, and myspace I feel didnt capitalize on this well enough. "While Zuckerberg and friends at Facebook were continuing to innovate, “Myspace had become too concerned with revenue…” writes Adegoke." When Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp bought myspace in 2007, the focused changed dramatically to revenue growth and aimed to hit $1 billion dollars. So it really comes down to trying to make as much money as possible , or making something that users want to use even if it wont make you rich (at first).

No comments:

Post a Comment