Sunday, October 23, 2011

facebook and confidence.

While casually thumbing through the November issue of Cosmopolitan magazine, I came across an article entitled, "How to Survive a Confidence Crash" by Anna Davies. Normally I would continue flipping through the pages, but I noticed the editorial image was of a woman with Facebook open on her laptop. Upon further reading the article, I realized it was totally pertinent and relevant to this week's blog assignment, especially as I fit the demographic the article described (essentially 20-early 30s women with Facebook accounts). A good majority of the article focused on the negative effects of social media, and the added pressures it may add to its user's lives. I found it to be very interesting that while the main article summary simply said social media, every negative aspect of social media mentioned was exemplified by Facebook. In fact, one sentence stated in a round about way to stop using Facebook altogether, and to use only LinkedIn and Google+ instead. But I digress... The article essentially described three aspects of what they referred to as "The Facebook Effect". The first is the pressure of my generation to create and present flawless images of themselves (mainly for others to stalk). This pressure includes worrying about unflattering or humiliating photos or posts sometimes beyond your control, that will be there essentially for all of eternity. The second, and perhaps most common, is that Facebook enables/encourages constant comparison between oneself and others. Seeing constant feeds of others succeeding in their school/work or appearing to have great times can inspire feelings of inadequacy and self- doubt. The last aspect of the spectrum, and perhaps most commonly humored, is that, as Jane Buckingham(founder of a Millennial-focused research firm) said, "so many young women treat life as a constant status update. It's as if they're more concerned with how their lives look than how their lives feel."


I definitely think that this article and its description of the "Facebook Effect" are definitely valid. Many of the articles or news pieces I have read or seen related to the negative aspects of social media tend to deal with the younger demographic of users, and how it has become the quintessential bullying tool. It is intriguing to see an article focused on a demographic more so relevant to my peers and me. I have pictures of myself on Facebook that required untagging, and was especially wary of how my profile appeared while applying to be and working as an RA on campus. I certainly am guilty of stalking people I knew in  high school, and becoming envious of how amazing their lives seem to be as a result of their photos, status updates, and college/work information. Therefore, the description matches my experiences to an extent, although I do not particularly identify with the last aspect. While I definitely have felt that underlying, embarrassing feeling of posting something because it will let others see like how totally awesome I am (exaggerated sarcasm), it is definitely not an everyday concern of mine.  I do however know quite a few of my peers who fit, or seem to fit, perfectly into that aspect.  


Ultimately, I think it is interesting to see how specific avenues of social media have affected our culture and psychology to such a drastic extent in such a few years' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment