Monday, October 31, 2011

Relevance in 10 years

When I was told to blog about the relevance of Encyclopedia Britannica and Wikipedia, I had thought to myself "I haven't used Encyclopedia Britannica in years" because I had forgotten all about it. When I was younger and in middle school I remember using Britannica all the time for any information I couldn't find on AskJeeves, which was my search engine of choice at the time. Now a days to get information I just google it and the first or second thing that comes up is a link to the wikipedia of the topic I search. This is the first time in years that I've been to the Britannica's website in years and me being so used to Wikipedia's site I think that Britannica's site has unneeded information on its home page, but when you search for something like my topic "Cognitive Dissonance", the information is less compared to Wikipedia's result. So in 10 years I see Wikipedia being more relevant than Encyclopedia Britannica mostly because of its easy usability and accessibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment