Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hick’s Law and User Experience



The study of Hick’s Law made me better understand the User Experience. From the design point of view, it pushes us to simplify options. My black and white or monochromatic designs have always been more appealing compared to my multi-colored designs. 

The other day, while I was discussing Hick’s law with my classmate Vernon Brunton, he stated that with the wide experience he has in graphic designing field, it takes a lot of time for him to come to a decision regarding designs.But by this I do not mean to say that one should not have enriched experience because his designs are very creative and conceptual.

One of the best examples of Hick's Law is of i-phone. It has only one button. The lesser the choice the easy and friendly the user experience. Also the law is very useful in creating a good navigation system in websites. In some website there are too many options which simply results in confusion for the user. Contrary to that, websites with fewer options and simple navigation system are more successful. Undoubtedly, facebook is very famous with its easy and friendly navigation system and user experience. The same can be applicable in gaming industry with respect to the number of buttons or tools the user has to make choice of.

To conclude, as a graphic and web-designer, understanding this law helps me build a better user-experience for my clients and viewers.






No comments:

Post a Comment