Monday, October 10, 2011

Guy next door


It was a lazy Monday morning. I was frustrated with all the projects, deadlines, circuits, machines, formulas, derivations…Well! On the whole, EVERYTHING! But I loved going to college because of proudly being a part of the naughtiest gang from the naughtiest class. So we managed to make our life exciting and interesting. I hopped in my college bus and went to sit near my friend hoping to start an interesting conversation so that I can get rid of my laziness. After all the HIs, HI-FIs and winks with the rest of them in the bus, I sat near my friend. She had something better for me! She said, “Look what I’ve got for you! It’s the book, ‘Five point someone’. Some dude called Chetan Baghat has written it. He’s new but you’re gonna love it! It is about his and two of his friends’ life at IIT.” I was reluctant because the book seemed to have a simple storyline and it was a time when I was reading Sydney Sheldon, Dan Brown and similar kinds. I read the description and it was something like this: “Baghat shares his experience as an Engineer and describes the pressure that a student is put in. bla bla bla”. The book’s cover depicted the storyline and was quite tempting. So I started reading. When I was in my 11th page, I already felt like those three guys were a part of our gang. It made me angry, laugh out loud, cry, etc. The book was a huge hit!

By the time I read the book I was his huge fan! I started reading all his books as soon as they were released. Most of them were produced into movies. His books focus on young Indian population, the problems faced by them, the stereotypes and barriers in the form of culture and tradition which almost 70% of the young population is against. Baghat is never reluctant to raise his voice against annoying stereotypes and I feel like it’s the voice of most of us.

Chetan Baghat’s blog is what I keep following. He doesn’t blog every day. But if he posts, it is sure to be interesting. It is about his books, family, friends, politics, etc. Most of the youngsters in India are not political. One of his books narrated how the youngsters are being affected indirectly to an extent that their life is ruined because political cruelties. Believe it or not! My friends and I started discussing politics! What he says is nothing new. But it is amazing how he pulls people into understanding the problems through his writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment