Sunday, October 30, 2011

Power of the people?

Does society and the collective intelligence really have the power and the accuracy to provide us with useful information? Can it give us a more well rounded and unbiased view of events? These are all just a few of the questions I present to myself every time I make use of a Wiki. How can I trust the content if I know everyone can add or dispute it? I think the one calming thing I have noticed is the power corroborating facts or the improved pressure to substantiate facts by the common collective. I have seen evidence that when someone posts poor information or facts that aren't supported, the collective of the internet will call those facts in to question and almost immediately force a change in the misrepresented fact.

This collective "correction" does bring me some confidence in the information and facts that I find on Wiki. It helps when you can pool so much knowledge from so many sources that it brings confidence to the information presented. You can find more points of view from more sources then you can with a conventional encyclopedia. I like to see the opposing sides of theories and historical events. It gives me more of an overall global view of what has happened.

Does it mean I have complete confidence in Wiki's? Not at all, but I am more comfortable with what I find and feel even better when I can view links for resources and facts that are posted. Hopefully in the future the power of the collective intellect will continue to police itself and remain a voice of true facts and not the personal soap box to someones agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment