Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Occam's Razor ~ SIMPLICITY

            I spent a little time reading about each of the theories listed; I see a common thread in Conway and Tesler’s Law, similarly in Eintsein’s Rule of Simplicity and Occam’s Razor. 

I am choosing to comment on Occam’s Razor, which loosely translated means: “The simplest explanation is most likely the correct one.”  So often I feel we miss the mark, especially when it comes to technology, because we over complicate things.  We theorize about what we “think” something means, or spend time looking too deep into a solution, and then we miss the obvious.   I believe the more complex a project, or the more power, recognition, affluence to be gained, the more complicated we tend to make things.  I don’t think success exists because of self-perpetuated convolution. Hence, the expression: “No pain, no gain” does not need to define all that we do.

There is much to be gained when we approach design in a simplistic manner.  I think some of the most brilliant designs and interfaces be-speak simplicity.  The most effective designs keep common tasks easy; they communicate ideas clearly and simply, and provide meaningful solutions in concise terms.  Sometimes all a person needs is a little information and inspiration-- “material overload” is just that…let’s keep things simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment