Monday, October 17, 2011

simplicity.

From an early age, I was taught to KISS, or keep it simple, stupid. Personally, I struggle with this methodology in nearly all aspects, whether writing or design. I understand the theories regarding the value of simplicity in that less content allows for clearer, more obvious readability. However, I think that oftentimes in an attempt to keep it simple, writers and designers dumb down their work, and sometimes omit crucial details that could elevate their work from mediocre to excellent. I think it is extreme to say that all designers should take a razor to their work, though I do believe that designers should critically analyze whether or not certain details are necessary. While minimalism sometimes works exceptionally well (iPhone one button), it can also be a  usability nightmare (http://www.designbuzz.com/entry/minimalism-wrong-bathroom-concept-zahir-khan-simple/)


I took a look at Conway's Law, and was initially a bit confused as to why it was listed with the others as a law of simplicity. In fact, no variations of the word "simple" appear in any of the articles I read regarding the law. However, upon reading more about it, I understand why it is applicable. It is my interpretation that if internal communication is clear, simple, and efficient, according to Conway's Law, the designs will be clear, simple, and efficient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment