Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Simplicity

I am articulated right now. I guess it is because this topics reminds me of too many examples and not sure where to start. The first thing that came to my mind was what my dad said and keeps reminding me of even today, “Simplicity is the best policy”. And I’ve learnt in the past one year that it applies not just for life but also for what I create too. To start with Einstein, he says, “Out of clutter find simplicity”. Occam’s razor can be summarized to the same point too. Life is fast and the users have too many things to worry about. Why give them an additional reason to be frustrated? I find myself being repelled faster than a light’s speed when a design is complicated and annoying. But sadly, my design as a pioneer was of that sort!

The article about Tessler’s law says that “If a million users each waste a minute a day dealing with complexity that an engineer could have eliminated in a week by making the software a little more complex, you are penalizing the user to make the engineer’s job easier. Whose time is more important to the success of your business? For mass market software, unless you have a sustainable monopoly position, the customer’s time has to be more important to you than your own.”

The creators have to accept the fact that if the end product is too complicated, it is just going to annoy the user. Sometime, it also makes you feel like you were a fool. Just give what the user wants and in a simple way.

No comments:

Post a Comment